top of page

Prince Harry has failed to win a lawsuit regarding UK police protection. Here's a breakdown of all the legal challenges he has faced.

Prince Harry's "mission" to take on an intrusive media continues, with an ongoing series of lawsuits brought by himself and Duchess Meghan.

Over the past few years, the couple have filed more than a half-dozen lawsuits in both the U.S. and England against various media entities, who they accuse of not just invading their privacy but also of putting their lives at risk.

Harry has a particular grievance against the press, anchored in part to his contention that paparazzi were to blame for the 1997 death of his mother, Princess Diana, as she tried to flee photographers in Paris. On May 16, the duke and duchess said they experienced their own "near catastrophic car chase" in New York.


Harry has multiple lawsuits that are directly related to the safety and privacy of his family, which include the couple's two young children, Archie, 4, and Lilibet, 2.

Two are against separate newspaper companies, Mirror Group Newspapers and News Group Newspapers, accusing them of illegal information gathering; and two suits against Associated Newspapers Ltd. accused them of libel and illegal information gathering.

Here are more details about Prince Harry's present and past lawsuits.

Prince Harry loses lawsuit to overturn the withdrawal of police protection

What was it? In a lawsuit separate from his failed challenge to be able to pay for police protection, Prince Harry also filed suit to try and overturn the decision to eliminate state-funded protection given he and his wife are not part of the working-royal group.

The Duke of Sussex claimed he and his family were endangered when visiting the U.K. because of hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by news media.

Status: The case is closed.

On Feb. 28, a London judge ruled Harry was not improperly stripped of his publicly funded security detail during visits to Britain. Justice Peter Lane said in the High Court that the decision to provide security to Harry on a case-by-case basis was not unlawful, irrational or unjustified.

Prince Harry wins phone hacking lawsuit against Daily Mirror

What was it? Prince Harry sued Mirror Group Newspapers, owner of British tabloid Daily Mirror, in one of three similar suits filed by the Duke of Sussex against publishers accused of hacking the phones of celebrities. The lawsuit alleged that between 1996 and 2010 the Mirror hacked into phone voicemails in order to access private information.

Status: The case is closed. On Dec. 15, Prince Harry won the Daily Mirror lawsuit and was awarded over 140,000 pounds ($180,000).

On Feb. 9, Harry’s attorney, David Sherborne, said the tabloid publisher also agreed to pay the prince's legal costs plus "substantial" damages, and would make an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($505,000) within 14 days. The final tab will be assessed later.

In a statement read outside the High Court in London by his lawyer, Harry said he had been vindicated: "Our mission continues."

"We have uncovered and proved the shockingly dishonest way in which the Mirror acted for so many years, and then sought to conceal the truth," Harry said.

Justice Timothy Fancourt in the High Court found phone hacking was "widespread and habitual" at Mirror Group Newspapers over many years and private investigators “were an integral part of the system” to gather information unlawfully.A similar lawsuit against The Sun is ongoing.


Kommentare


1/465

LATEST NEWS​​

bottom of page